As the year is slowly coming to an end, it is the perfect time to reflect. I started my blog in 2015 and I can honestly say I have learnt so much since then. When I started, I did not realise that blogging is actually very hard work! It is not just quickly taking a few photos and writing a post.. Far from it.. It requires a lot of planning, organisation, time, effort and hard work! Today I am sharing with you a few of my blogging goals for 2017.
- BE MORE ORGANISED. This is going to be a tricky one! I am usually super-organised. You can ask anyone I have spreadsheets, lists and everything in order. However, when it comes to blogging, I seem to always run out of time! Did you know that bloggers have a different calendar? It takes a long time to prepare a post, especially if you do a craft related project. Take Christmas for example. Most bloggers will start thinking about Christmas in July, to make sure the posts are ready early enough for those who will be ‘googling’ and looking for all things Christmas related. Next year I will make sure I stick to my schedule.. or at least try!
- BE MORE CREATIVE. As we bought our house in July, I have been concentrating on the house so much, I have been too busy to come up with new ideas and projects! It is hard with a full time job, house renovation and a hobby that is slowly taking over my life (which I absolutely love)! There are so many amazing platforms and creative people, I need to find ways to stand out and create something new! Next year I am hoping to come up with more fun projects.
- START MAKING VIDEOS. Ok this one is a biggie, because I REALLY have to start making some videos and craft tutorials. It is not that I don’t want to, it is because (1) I don’t like the camera – I know surprise surprise.. but I really don’t I am so clumsy and I don’t like the sound of my own voice (my husband will probably disagree on this one 😀 ) AND I am scared of what people will think.. (2) short video takes a VERY long time to make (3) make sure the settings are right.. the list goes on and on… BUT one of my goals next year is to make my first craft video and share it with you.. so when I eventually do – please be KIND!
- BE MORE TECHNICAL. So PCs are not really my thing, even though I got A* in my computer studies in high school! Who knew there were so many technical things to know when blogging like SEO, slugs, focus keywords, shortcodes, plugins, alt tags and meta descriptions… I promise I will learn more about them and spend more time making sure my blog is more “visible“!
- WORK WITH MORE BRANDS. Having my blog has given me many opportunities, I have discovered and worked with many amazing brands. I only work with brands I truly believe in and will never ‘sell out’ and promote something I am not happy with. Next year I am hoping to keep my working relationships with the existing brands and work with some new ones too! Sometimes people think bloggers simply get lots of stuff for free! It is not entirely true.. Yes I have received many items for reviews free of charge, but they are never really free. We put a lot of hard work into writing the posts, taking photographs, editing, creating visual content and promoting their product.
- ATTEND EVENTS & NETWORK. This one is quite hard as I live in the Isle of Man, it can get quite costly. Maybe I should find a sponsor hey? 😀 Seriously, I would love to attend some blogger events and have to start maybe setting a budget aside as I think it is very important to create relationships with brands, PRs and most importantly fellow bloggers. Let’s hope next year brings lots of opportunities and enables me to attend some of the events!
- GROW SOCIAL MEDIA. Again, this one is hard as it requires lots of work. Posting every day especially on Instagram is not easy! I realised that by posting three times a day I get better engagement, but I don’t have so many pretty pictures and time to add hashtags and filters three times a day every single day! I must work on that next year! I will look into more apps that help with post shceduling too.
- ENJOY WHAT I DO!!! I created my blog to share my passion, and that still is the case! Yes of course it is important people see you and the blog, have lots of interraction with others, inspire the readers and ‘make’ them come back! However, I made this blog for myself, to express my creativity, have fun and I am truly happy that even one person wants to come and read it! so THANK YOU everyone!
This is my list.. a little longer than I first anticipated but I guess there is still lots of room for improvement. I have asked my fellow bloggers on what their blogging goals for the next year were and here is what they said.
– Zen from Hapiness Wherever – To increase my blog views and do more DIY collaborations with wonderful bloggers
– Anna from Anna International – Regular posting! 2016 has been chaos for me with wedding and house reno. 2017 shaping up to be crazy too but I want to prioritise my blog!
– Ange from Garden Tea Cakes and Me – To create more craft tutorials as I receive good traffic and feedback on these. Continue to implement Pinterest strategy and make this my main traffic source thus increasing my affiliate link revenue.
– Stephen from How Many Miles – To make blogging fun again. I’ve become so consumed by statistics and comparing myself that I have forgotten that I started blogging for fun and to inspire others to move more. Time to inject more fun into my writing.
– Karen from Well I Guess this is Growing up – I’d love to have a better schedule for publishing. I post a lot but it’s sporadic. I’ll be looking at investing in tools to help me do this.
– Gemma from Mayinspire – My goal is to increase my subscribers and to make sure I continue to enjoy it as much as I have the last 5 months. Here’s to a fab year!
– Marie from Paint it White Interiors – I need to make goals and stick to them. I’m hoping to paint and stencil a bedroom wood floor that’s been on the long finger plus a few more DIYs so it’s nice to interact with others of a like mind
– Lucy from Real Mum Reviews – To improve my social media following and DA.
– Samantha from Coco Butter Blog – I’d love to be making enough money to go part time at work so I can grow my blog even more!
– Jenny from Accidental Hipster Mum – I’d love to be organised and write posts ahead of time so that I can stick to a consistent schedule.
– Lynne from A Day in the Life of a Mum of 6 – I wish to gain more followers and engagement through my blog posts. Also build my brand more behind the scenes and focus on networking. As a newbie I feel it’s so important for me to get myself out there.
– Becky from The Art of Healthy Living – To not be so hung up on stats and to remind myself of why I started it in the first place!
– Halina from Vie Choufleur – Begin filming and editing short vlogs for inclusion within blog posts at first, eventually branching out to full-on vlogs independent of the blog!
– Angela from Cosmic Kick – I have two major goals for 2017: Attend more events (I’ve been blogging for years and still haven’t attended any meet-ups!) and introduce video to my blog. I’m so shy in front of the camera but video is becoming more and more important and I feel like I’m being left behind! We can’t be having that.
– Aine from Honestly Aine – I would love to start having 1000 views a week and for that to become a daily goal
– Nicola at For the Love of Jars – I have a number of goals – I need my blog to start earning me a small income (75pence so far!) and so to do that I need to increase my posts to 3 per week, increase my social media following to 2000 accross twitter, facebook and instagram and to increase my DA to 15+. Not sure how achievable these are but I have made great progress in the last 3 months so hoping the next 12 will be amazing!
What is your goal for 2017??