My husband found this old and clearly very damaged wooden box. He has a lot of faith in me and knows I would make something out of it.. and I did…
This box was beautiful but it was pretty damaged with wood worm so I knew the only way to restore it would be to paint it rather than try to restore the actual wood. The wood was covered in little holes.
After checking there was no wood worm left in the box, I cleaned it thoroughly using a mixture of warm water, washing up liquid and vinegar.
Then the box was ready to be repaired. I filled every single little hole with wood filler and sanded once it was dry. I then painted the box using primer just to make sure there is no bleeding through the paint, I used some grey paint for the base layer and for the top layer I used some of my home-made chalk paint to paint it.
I really wanted the box to have a little French feel, so I found this graphic on the Graphic Fairy, flipped it around in Word and printed off to the size I wanted.
Please remember to print with laser jet printer and not inkjet otherwise your image will bleed. You can read about how to do the transfer in more details on my post here.
I printed the graphic off ir mirror image.
Then using the mod podge transferred it onto the box.
Then simply distressed the box and replaced the rope and voila!